Mobile Home LegislationThe Mobile Homes Act provides a legal definition for what constitutes a mobile home. It also defines a park owner’s responsibilities and obligations, and the rights of mobile home owners on protected sites. This particular act does not in itself deal with parks which come under a holiday home licence.
Click to view the Mobile Homes Act 1983
Click to view the Mobile Homes Act 1983 (Amendment of Schedule 1)
Mobile Home LegislationThe definition of a caravan is provided in section 29 of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 as follows:
In section 29 (1) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 ("The 1960 Act") a caravan is defined as
- "... any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another
(whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or
adapted but does not include:
- Any railway rolling stock which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or
- Any tent."
"A structure designed or adapted for human habitation which:
- a) Is composed of not more than two sections separately constructed and designed to be assembled on a site by means of bolts, clamps or other devices; and
- b) Is, when assembled, physically capable of being moved by road from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer), shall not be treated as not being (or not having been) a caravan within the meaning of Part 1 of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 by reason only that it cannot lawfully be moved on a highway when assembled."
- (a) length (exclusive of any drawbar); 65.616 feet (20 metres);
- (b) width: 23.309 feet (6.8 metres);
- (c) overall height of living accommodation (measured internally from the floor at the lowest level to the ceiling at the highest level): 10.006 feet (3.05 metres).
To view the Caravan Sites and Development Control Act 1960 click here.
To view the Statutory Instrument detailing the amendments to the Caravan Sites and Development Control Act 1960, click here
If you have any queries regarding this topic or any other, please do not hesitate to call us on 01245 221800 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org.